Serving the Whole Person: An Alignment and Coherence Guide for State Education Agencies
Natalie Walrond & Natalie Romer; WestEd
To advance equity, districts and schools must serve the whole person. Equitable outcomes are more likely to result when whole-person initiatives are implemented within an aligned and coherent system.
If educators at every level of the K–12 system — from the state level to the classroom — work in aligned and coherent ways to sustain the conditions that support whole-person learning and development, every student will have experiences that support personal purpose, healthy relationships, a sense of place in community, success in school and the workplace, and engaged citizenship.
This Alignment and Coherence Guide’s central purpose is to help state education agency (SEA) leaders implement conditions for equitable learning and development for students, families, and educators, through their work to improve the alignment and coherence of their whole-person initiatives.
This guide includes five chapters:
- Chapter 1. Establish a Shared Vision and Theory of Change
- Chapter 2. Inventory Whole-Person Initiatives
- Chapter 3. Analyze Interrelationships for Alignment and Coherence and Create an Action Plan
- Chapter 4. Implement the Action Plan and Monitor Progress
- Chapter 5. Refine the Alignment and Coherence Process