Center to Improve Social and Emotional Learning and School Safety
NOTE: This page is continually being updated with new resources in response to the evolving needs of the field.
The Center’s Compilation of External Resources:
The Center has compiled this list of external, individual resources to support states, districts, and schools as they serve students throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.
Other Compilations of External Resources:
Partnering organizations and other leaders in the field have compiled the following additional lists of resources:
- COVID-19 Education Coalition Centering Equity working group’s Questions for Proactive and Equitable Educational Implementation and Associated Resources. This pair of guides includes (1) questions to guide implementation and (2) associated resources for serving diverse learners, including resources serving specific groups of learners (e.g., by race/ethnicity, students in the foster care system, students who are homeless, and students with disabilities).
- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Elementary and Secondary Education (OESE)’s Resources for Education Providers and Families.
- Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL)’s COVID-19 SEL Resources
- The Center on PBIS has produced a large set of resources for Supporting Schools During and After Crisis.
- Panorama Education’s SEL and Self-Care Resources for Educators, Schools, and Parents Related to Distance Learning and COVID-19
- Colorin Colorado’s COVID-19 Information for ELL and Multilingual Families
- The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)’s website offers guidance on numerous topics for school leaders and caregivers. This list of COVID-19 Support Resources from the CDC highlights specific CDC webpages of interest.
Briefs and Guides produced by the Center:
In response to needs expressed by the field, the Center has published the following briefs and guides:
- Self-Care Strategies for Educators During the Coronavirus Crisis: Supporting Personal Social and Emotional Well-Being
- Community-Care Strategies for Schools During the Coronavirus Crisis: Practical Tips for School Staff and Administrators
- Strategies for Trauma-Informed Distance Learning
- Mindfulness in Education: An Approach to Cultivating Self-Awareness That Can Bolster Kids’ Learning
The Center, in collaboration with REL West and the Region 15 Comprehensive Center, hosted and recorded a Webinar on Strategies for Districts to Support Self-Care for Educators During the COVID-19 Pandemic. This webinar offers practical information and guidance backed by research to help school staff cope with the stresses of school closures, service provision, and quarantine due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Center, in collaboration with REL West and the Region 15 Comprehensive Center, also hosted and recorded a Webinar on Strategies for Educators to Support the Social and Emotional Needs of Students Impacted by the COVID-19 Pandemic and the Demand for Racial Justice: Plans for Reopening Schools.
Additionally, this recorded Webinar on How Schools Ensure Social Connections During Physical Isolation, sponsored by the Aspen Institute, explores the practical realities and research foundations of how distance learning offers both opportunities, and imperatives, to re-establish relationships during school closure.